Tunisian soldier shot dead after killing seven in army base shooting spree

0 0
Read Time:1 Minute, 14 Second

TUNIS (Reuters) – A Tunisian soldier opened fire at a military base in the capital on Monday, killing seven colleagues and wounding 10 others before being shot dead himself, according to the army which said the shooter had "family problems".

What exactly triggered the shooting at the Bouchoucha base in Tunis was not immediately clear, but the incident alarmed residents in the capital city still on edge after an attack in March by Islamist gunmen on the Bardo national museum.

When gunfire erupted on Monday morning, police evacuated a nearby school, as locals feared they may be under attack.

"A soldier opened fire and killed seven others, he was then killed. Ten others are injured," army spokesman Bel Hassen Ouslati told reporters.

"According to what we know, he had some family problems, this is nothing to do with a terrorist attack."

Two military helicopters hovered over the scene as police searched cars on the road to the base. An army colonel was among the victims, a security source said.

Since its 2011 uprising against autocrat Zine El-Abidine Ben Ali, Tunisia has been spared the worst chaos that neighbouring countries experienced after the "Arab Spring". But some Islamist hardliners have turned to violence.

Tunisian forces have been carrying out operations against Islamist fighters since March when two gunmen opened fire on tourists at the Bardo museum, killing 21 foreigners in the worst attack in Tunisia in more than a decade.

About Post Author

Anthony Claret

Anthony-Claret is a software Engineer, entrepreneur and the founder of Codewit INC. Mr. Claret publishes and manages the content on Codewit Word News website and associated websites. He's a writer, IT Expert, great administrator, technology enthusiast, social media lover and all around digital guy.
Happy
0 0 %
Sad
0 0 %
Excited
0 0 %
Sleepy
0 0 %
Angry
0 0 %
Surprise
0 0 %

BURUNDI: President Nkurunziza’s forces reportedly in control of capital

0 0
Read Time:1 Minute, 2 Second

In the wake of the alleged coup in Burundi, and the resulting fight between President Pierre Nkurunziza's force and rival forces, soldiers loyal to Nkurunziza say they are now in control of key locations in the capital, Bujumbura.

Earlier on, there were fierce clashes in Bujumbura, particularly at the state radio office, but BBC reports that they are now said to have subsided.

5 soldiers are reported to have been killed in the clash.

Nkurunziza had been in Tanzania when the coup began on Wednesday and his whereabouts remain unconfirmed.

Since the address of the coup, there has been no new statement from the general who announced the coup.

Protests began in Burundi on 26th April when Mr Nkurunziza said he was seeking a 3rd term in office despite the fact that he had ruled the country since 2005 at the end of the 12-year civil war.

The coup was launched by Maj Gen Godefroid Niyombare, a former ally of the president, on Wednesday after Mr Nkurunziza travelled to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania to attend a summit on the crisis.

However later in the day, both army chief of staff Gen Prime Niyongabo and President Nkurunziza said the coup attempt had been halted.

About Post Author

Anthony Claret

Anthony-Claret is a software Engineer, entrepreneur and the founder of Codewit INC. Mr. Claret publishes and manages the content on Codewit Word News website and associated websites. He's a writer, IT Expert, great administrator, technology enthusiast, social media lover and all around digital guy.
Happy
0 0 %
Sad
0 0 %
Excited
0 0 %
Sleepy
0 0 %
Angry
0 0 %
Surprise
0 0 %

BURUNDI: 5 soldiers killed in coup aftermath as president’s location remains unknown

0 0
Read Time:1 Minute, 38 Second

Following an attempted coup in Burundi on Wednesday, May 13, the country’s army is now divided into two factions – those loyal to the ‘ousted’ President Pierre Nkurunziza and those for General Godefroid Nyombare, the coup mastermind.

The two sides, according to a military source, held negotiations on Wednesday night to determine the way forward, as the President’s whereabouts is still unknown.

It is unclear how the negotiation went, but from indications, it may have ended in a deadlock as reports on Thursday, May 14, said the rival army units engaged in a gun battle that left 5 soldiers dead.

The attempted coup took place while Nkurunziza was in neighbouring Tanzania for a summit on his country's troubles.

General Nyombare announced on a private radio station that the president had been relieved of his duties.

Police withdrew from the streets of Bujumbura, the capital, after the general's coup statement and thousands of people celebrated the coup.

People trooped out on the streets and applauded soldiers who rode by in tanks and trucks.

But some officials remain loyal to Nkurunziza. His office said on Wednesday evening that the coup attempt was unsuccessful, posting a statement on the president's Twitter and Facebook accounts.

"A group of soldiers mutinied this morning and made a fantasy declaration of a coup d'etat," said the statement. "This attempted coup was foiled and these people …are sought by defence and security forces so they are brought to justice."

Nkurunziza's bid for a third term as president sparked street protests in the capital in which over 15 people have been killed.

During almost three weeks of unrest, the military acted as a buffer between police and protesters who oppose Nkurunziza's bid for a third term, saying it violates the Constitution and Arusha peace accords that ended a civil war here.

About Post Author

Anthony Claret

Anthony-Claret is a software Engineer, entrepreneur and the founder of Codewit INC. Mr. Claret publishes and manages the content on Codewit Word News website and associated websites. He's a writer, IT Expert, great administrator, technology enthusiast, social media lover and all around digital guy.
Happy
0 0 %
Sad
0 0 %
Excited
0 0 %
Sleepy
0 0 %
Angry
0 0 %
Surprise
0 0 %

Burundi Coup President’s plane barred from landing, returns to Tanzania

0 0
Read Time:57 Second

Following the order by Burundian army general to shutdown airport and borders in the country, ousted President Pierre Nkurunziza has returned to Tanzania where he was attending a summit, officials said.

Nkurunziza was at a summit in Tanzania when a top Burundian general, Major General Godefroid Niyombare, launched a coup to overthrow him.

Hours after the coup, the president attempted to leave Tanzania for Burundi to deal with the situation but Niyombare  had ordered his men to ground the airport and the borders to prevent Nkurunziza from returning home.

A source told BBC that the plane turned back after 10 minutes as it would have been unable to land safely in Burundi.

Since Niyombare announced the coup, thousands of Burundian citizens have taken to the street to celebrate the development.

Burundi has witnessed chaos – protests, violence and killings since Nkurunziza declared his third term re-election intention, with many saying the law of the land only stipulates two terms.

Burundian court however cleared the president to rerun, stating that his second term in office was not through an election, which gives him the right to the third term run.

About Post Author

Anthony Claret

Anthony-Claret is a software Engineer, entrepreneur and the founder of Codewit INC. Mr. Claret publishes and manages the content on Codewit Word News website and associated websites. He's a writer, IT Expert, great administrator, technology enthusiast, social media lover and all around digital guy.
Happy
0 0 %
Sad
0 0 %
Excited
0 0 %
Sleepy
0 0 %
Angry
0 0 %
Surprise
0 0 %

Burundi protesters attack policewoman

0 0
Read Time:17 Second

Demonstrators turned on a policewoman they accused of shooting a protester in Burundi's capital, Bujumbura, reports the Reuters news agency.

They carried her through the streets.

<

At one point a man tried to protect her from the crowd.

Protesters beat and stoned the policewoman before she was handed back to the police, reports Reuters.

About Post Author

Anthony Claret

Anthony-Claret is a software Engineer, entrepreneur and the founder of Codewit INC. Mr. Claret publishes and manages the content on Codewit Word News website and associated websites. He's a writer, IT Expert, great administrator, technology enthusiast, social media lover and all around digital guy.
Happy
0 0 %
Sad
0 0 %
Excited
0 0 %
Sleepy
0 0 %
Angry
0 0 %
Surprise
0 0 %

Citizens protest President’s 3rd term candidacy, police kill 2

0 0
Read Time:1 Minute, 6 Second

The people staged a protest against the third term bid of the country’s president, Pierre Nkurunziza, when two of them were killed by the Burundian police and four injured, the Red Cross said.

Police reportedly dispersed the protesters in Bujumbura with water cannon, tear gas and in some cases live bullets.

The government had banned all protests, pro or anti Nkurunziza's third term rerun.

According to reports, the law of the land stipulates that a President can only serve two terms, which makes a third attempt a violation of the constitution.

African leaders and Western nations have urged Nkurunziza not to run again.

The United States and the European Union have said they could take punitive steps if violence erupts as a result of the president's rerun.

"We counted two protesters killed by police, four others were injured and one is in coma in hospital after being hit by a bullet," Alexis Manirakiza, Burundi Red Cross spokesman said.

Burundi's ruling CNDD-FDD party nominated Nkurunziza as its presidential candidate on Saturday, April 25.

Critics say the move goes against the spirit of a 2000 peace deal. The peace deal has kept Burundi calm for a decade since a civil war between ethnic Hutus and Tutsis ended in 2005.

About Post Author

Anthony Claret

Anthony-Claret is a software Engineer, entrepreneur and the founder of Codewit INC. Mr. Claret publishes and manages the content on Codewit Word News website and associated websites. He's a writer, IT Expert, great administrator, technology enthusiast, social media lover and all around digital guy.
Happy
0 0 %
Sad
0 0 %
Excited
0 0 %
Sleepy
0 0 %
Angry
0 0 %
Surprise
0 0 %

Terror group massacre 30 Ethiopians

0 0
Read Time:1 Minute, 27 Second

The 29-minute online video, titled “Until There Came to Them Clear Evidence”, purports to show militants holding two groups of captives. It says one group is held by an IS affiliate in eastern Libya known as Barka Province and the other by an affiliate in the south calling itself the Fazzan Province.

A masked fighter brandishing a pistol delivers a long statement, saying Christians must convert to Islam or pay a special tax prescribed by the Koran.

The chief executioner speaks in English and says “our battle is a battle between faith and blasphemy”.

A narrator says: “To the nation of the cross, we are back again on the sands, where the companions of the Prophet, peace be upon him, have stepped on before, telling you: Muslim blood that was shed under the hands of your religion is not cheap.

“In fact, their blood is the purest blood because there is a nation behind them (which) inherits revenge. And we swear to Allah: the one who disgraced you by our hands, you will not have safety, even in your dreams, until you embrace Islam.”

Those executed were described as “the worshippers of the cross belonging to the hostile Ethiopian church”.

It is however unclear who the captives were or when they were captured.

Ethiopian Communications Minister, Redwan Hussein, said its embassy in Egypt is working to verify the video.

“We strongly condemn such atrocities, whether they are Ethiopians are not,” Hussein said.

“There are elements of IS around Ethiopia who are already carrying out operations, even though under a different name. We will keep on fighting them.”

Watch the footage below:

{youtube}3CcPhF-TVNU{/youtube}

About Post Author

Anthony Claret

Anthony-Claret is a software Engineer, entrepreneur and the founder of Codewit INC. Mr. Claret publishes and manages the content on Codewit Word News website and associated websites. He's a writer, IT Expert, great administrator, technology enthusiast, social media lover and all around digital guy.
Happy
0 0 %
Sad
0 0 %
Excited
0 0 %
Sleepy
0 0 %
Angry
0 0 %
Surprise
0 0 %

Millions will die if you don’t leave- Attackers

0 0
Read Time:1 Minute, 50 Second

Itunu Bodunrin, a Nigerian, who on Monday had attended his master’s degree graduation ceremony at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, is now stranded on the University campus due to the xenophobic attacks happening in the city, Punch reports.

He  forwarded a text message which, according to him, had been circulated among South African residents via an instant messaging mobile application, WhatsApp.

In the message, signed by several groups, including the Patriotic Movement, Pan Local Forum, Unemployed Workers Forum and Anti-Crime Movement, Nigerians and other African foreigners were warned to leave the country.

It read partly:

“Dear neighbour from Africa and other parts of the world, we have travelled the world and have not found one country that allows the floods of humans across its borders as South Africa is experiencing. Even in war-torn parts like Syria, Ukraine, Yemen and Somali.

We were seven million people in Johannesburg city in 2011. Today, we have an estimated 13 million. In Johannesburg alone, you have taken over entire suburbs: Yeoville, Berea, Bez Valley, Turfontein, among many. You have even moved into rural parts of our country that have 80-per-cent unemployment, and there are no visible signs that you have jobs either.

We want to be proudly part of the geographic construct called Africa, but we are as different from one another as Kenyans are from Nigerians; Ivorians from Chadians, etc.

We are pleading with you to return to your home countries. Go and build up those countries so that we can all live in economic, social and political prosperity and peace as neighbours. The genocide in this corner of Africa will be far worse than what happened in Rwanda in 1994. Then the entire continent will be condemned to ashes. Is that what you want?

South Africans not fully employed or who were found guilty of crimes, were recently repatriated from Nigeria and rightly so.

Our people are preparing for war against all foreigners (from Bulgaria, Pakistan and Bangladesh to Africa, north of the Limpopo) and we are all very scared. Please go home and build Africa. Millions will die if you don’t. This we can guarantee."

About Post Author

Anthony Claret

Anthony-Claret is a software Engineer, entrepreneur and the founder of Codewit INC. Mr. Claret publishes and manages the content on Codewit Word News website and associated websites. He's a writer, IT Expert, great administrator, technology enthusiast, social media lover and all around digital guy.
Happy
0 0 %
Sad
0 0 %
Excited
0 0 %
Sleepy
0 0 %
Angry
0 0 %
Surprise
0 0 %

Zimbabwe makes first practical move to evacuate citizens from South Africa

0 0
Read Time:57 Second

The country’s High Commissioner to South Africa, Isaac Moyo, has said plans are in motion to evacuate about 1,000 Zimbabweans living in South Africa.

"Identification and processing of repatriation documents has already been done. It is very sad. Most people do not have any documentation. They don't have any clothes apart from what they are wearing. Many of them left all their clothes and property behind. We are documenting people. This process means that we are giving them some sort of documentation to use upon returning to Zimbabwe. We are organising some buses to take them from Durban to Beit Bridge (the border between South Africa and Zimbabwe). Then they will be taken from Beit Bridge to their home provinces. We would want (the departure) to be as soon as possible. People are currently living in the most difficult conditions," Moyo told the state-owned Chronicle newspaper.

The Nigerian government had said earlier this week that it will evacuate Nigerians resident in South Africa if the violent attacks worsen.

Kenya, Mozambique and Malawi have also announced they would help their citizens return home.

About Post Author

Anthony Claret

Anthony-Claret is a software Engineer, entrepreneur and the founder of Codewit INC. Mr. Claret publishes and manages the content on Codewit Word News website and associated websites. He's a writer, IT Expert, great administrator, technology enthusiast, social media lover and all around digital guy.
Happy
0 0 %
Sad
0 0 %
Excited
0 0 %
Sleepy
0 0 %
Angry
0 0 %
Surprise
0 0 %

South African girl commits suicide after sex tape leaked

0 0
Read Time:1 Minute, 29 Second

A 19-year-old South African girl, Christina Fokona, has had enough of the shame, hounding, bullying and name calling and decided to end it all by committing suicide after she overdosed on her mother's medication for high blood pressure, Times Live reports.

The deceased has been haunted by a leaked tape where she and two boys were having sex on their school grounds in 2010 when she was 15 and the boys were 14 and 16 respectively.

The two boys were both charged initially with rape but she had admitted that the sex was consensual.

All three were then charged with 'consensual sexual penetration' under the 2007 Criminal Law, which made consensual sexual acts between children aged 12 and 15 a crime. The charges were later dropped after the teenagers joined a diversion programme.

After the video scandal, Christina moved to two different schools because children made fun of her.

For Christina, the trauma of the incident and the criminal case was too much to bear, coupled with the way she was being treated afterwards and she ended it all last week.

Christina's sister, Bridgette Nzama, said that her family thought she was fine until she committed suicide.

Her mother, Mandisa, was the last person to see her alive.

The last SMS Christina sent to her sister was:

"Thank you my sister for everything you have done for me."

Nzama had supported her sister during the court case, which was 'very stressful.'

"I ended up leaving my job so that I could go to court with her and support her. There were journalists everywhere and she didn't want to talk.

She didn't want to go outside or go anywhere."

About Post Author

Anthony Claret

Anthony-Claret is a software Engineer, entrepreneur and the founder of Codewit INC. Mr. Claret publishes and manages the content on Codewit Word News website and associated websites. He's a writer, IT Expert, great administrator, technology enthusiast, social media lover and all around digital guy.
Happy
0 0 %
Sad
0 0 %
Excited
0 0 %
Sleepy
0 0 %
Angry
0 0 %
Surprise
0 0 %