The Director of Defence Information, Chris Olukolade, has said that members of the Boko Haram sect in Nigeria have run out of arms and ammunition.
Major General Olukolade stated further that the terrorists’ numbers had dwindled due to the army’s recent attacks on them.
The defence spokesperson made the comments on Wednesday, April 22, 2015, while speaking to journalists in Abuja.
“The Boko Haram terrorists have run out of arms and ammunitions as the military have intensified attacks on Sambisa Forest,”Olukolade said.
“You can find more than 500 of the insurgents with only few of them having rifles and even when one or two of them have rifles, they have no ammunitions. It is just like somebody holding a stick…, as they have run out of ammunitions, because the usual supplies they get are not forthcoming,” he added.
“I am optimistic that the military will succeed by killing many of these sect members who have been terrorising residents in the past three years from the forest,” Olukolade said.
National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Dasuki had earlier stated that the military would succeed in clearing out Sambisa Forest, a Boko Haram stronghold, before May 29, 2015, when a new government would be sworn in.