Leader of terrorist sect Boko Haram Abubakar Shekau again appeared in a video clip released by the sect on yesterday, claiming responsibility for last week’s attack in Benisheikh, Borno State, where about 160 people were maimed.
Previously, an erstwhile Joint Task Force (JTF) spokesman in Borno State, Lt Col Sagir Musa, had in a statement on August 19, stated, “Intelligence report available to the Joint Task Force (JTF) Operation Restore Order revealed that Abubakar Shekau, the most dreaded and wanted terrorist leader, may have died.”
Musa had added that Shekau died of gunshot wounds received in an encounter with JTF operatives in one of their camps in Sambisa forest on June 30, 2013. “Shekau was mortally wounded in the encounter and was sneaked into Amitchide — a border community in Cameroon — for treatment from which he never recovered,” the JTF statement said.
However, a video was posted by the sect online , showing Shekau, who was clad in a military fatigue, rained invectives on his enemies: “Here I am, alive, hale and hearty. Sagir Musa should bury himself in shame, President Jonathan (of Nigeria) should bury himself in shame, President Obama (of United States of America) should bury himself in shame, and President Francois Hollande (of France) should bury himself in shame, Queen Elizabeth (of England) should bury herself in shame.
“They said I am dead, but here I am. The world should know that I am alive and will only die at the appointed time. Everybody should be judged according to the dictates of his conscience.
“What I am doing is written in the Holy Qur’an and the Hadith and I will not stop. I challenge all the clerics of the world to question my deeds. Those underrating my capacity should have a re-think. I will never allow democracy to thrive.
“The concept of government of the people by the people for the people will never be possible and will never exist. Democracy shall be replaced only by the government of Allah, from Allah and for Allah.”
He stated the Nigerian military will never subdue his group. “Nigerian soldiers are late. After killing many of them in Monguno and Benisheik, we have snatched their armoured carriers and Hilux vans and then hoisted Islamic flags on them. We now move freely with them,” he said.
meanwhile, the Army Public Relations Unit said it would study the video clips that claimed someone who had died several weeks ago is alive.