Update: How Nigerian officials received Nyanya bombing suspect from Sudan

0 0
Read Time:2 Minute, 46 Second

Aminu Ogwuche reportedly fled to Sudan immediately after the April 14 bomb blast.

The International Police, INTERPOL, on Tuesday handed over the alleged mastermind of a Nyanya bomb blast, Aminu Ogwuche, to Nigerian security.

The Defence Headquarters, DHQ, first said this through its twitter handle @DefenceInfoNG.

“Ogwuche, the Nyanya Bombing Mastermind was received at the Abuja Airport 3:150PM today, Now in Nigerian Security Custody #CounterInsurgency,” it said.

Not long after, officials briefed journalists on the matter, saying the suspect was extradited from Sudan.

The Coordinator, National Information Centre, Mike Omeri, led the spokespersons of the police, Frank Mba; Department of State Services (DSS), Marilyn Ogar; and Defence Headquarters, Chris Olukolade, to receive the suspect.

Mr. Ogwuche was declared wanted by the federal government on May 15 shortly after the DSS paraded some suspects in connection with the bombing which led to the death of at least 75 people.

Also declared wanted was Abubakar Tsiga, said to be chief mastermind of the bombing.

Shortly after Mr. Ogwuche was declared wanted, he was arrested by the International Police Organisation, INTERPOL, in Sudan, where he fled to. The extradition process back to Nigeria was kept a top secret by the security agencies for operational reasons.

However, on Tuesday the police sent a text inviting journalists to cover the unveiling of a “Special Counter-Terrorism Equipment’’ at the airport.

A few minutes after the journalists arrived at the airport, only photographers and television cameramen were invited to take photographs of the special equipment.

At about 3.20 p.m., the spokesperson of the DSS emerged from the arrival hall, beaming with smile and announced the arrival of Mr. Ogwuche, saying “here is the special counter-terrorism equipment.”

Mr. Ogwuche was guarded by plain clothed security operatives into an 18-seater Toyota bus and driven away.

Addressing journalists later, Mr. Omeri said that the suspect would be interrogated and prosecuted.

“We have just successfully been able to secure his (Ogwuche’s) extradition from Sudan and he is back to his home country to answer questions.

“The usual procedure will take place; he will be interrogated appropriately and charged to court when all the processes are concluded.

“The fight against insurgency and the effort to get our girls back is top a priority of the Federal Government,’’ Mr. Omeri said.

The accused, a U.K.-born Nigerian, was a soldier with service number SVC 95/104 but deserted the army in 2006.

He served in the Intelligence Unit of the Nigerian Army at Child Avenue, Arakan Barracks, Lagos, between 2001 and 2006.

He was arrested on November 12, 2011 at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, on arrival from the U.K. for suspected involvement in terrorism-related activities.

He was, however, released on bail to his father, Agene Ogwuche, a retired colonel, on October 15, 2012, following intense pressure from human rights activists, who alleged human rights violation, the SSS said.

The elder Ogwuche, a retired colonel in the Nigerian Army in 2012, had pledged to produce his son when needed for questioning.

On May 15, the State Security Service arrested the suspect’s father, Agene Ogwuche, following a breach of bond, which he signed while taking his son’s bail in 2012.

About Post Author

Anthony-Claret Ifeanyi Onwutalobi

Anthony-Claret is a software Engineer, entrepreneur and the founder of Codewit INC. Mr. Claret publishes and manages the content on Codewit Word News website and associated websites. He's a writer, IT Expert, great administrator, technology enthusiast, social media lover and all around digital guy.
0 0 %
0 0 %
0 0 %
0 0 %
0 0 %
0 0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
4 Star
3 Star
2 Star
1 Star

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.