Read Time:1 Minute, 40 Second
After weeks of waiting, an expectant Nigerian football community was Tuesday last week given more than it expected when Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi announced a 30-man provisional list for the World Cup.
A lot of reactions have trailed the announcement, particularly on the omission of some players Nigerians had considered worthy of making the list.
Players like Vilareal striker Ikechukwu Uche, arguably Eagles’ most prolific forward in Europe with 13 goals, Brown Ideye who was part of the AFCON 2013 winning squad who has been loyal to Keshi, recuperating Leon Balogun, among others.
But coach Stephen Keshi has revealed that throughout his career, he has never been put under such immense pressure like he experienced before arriving at the 30 he eventually picked as provisional squad.
While the dropped players, although disappointed, have all thrown their weights behind the coach with some solidarity comments, Keshi is still reflecting on the decision he made.
“I wanted the best for the initial camping list, but sadly we cannot take everybody along, we have to drop some of our best and committed players,” he said
“I am happy that the players understand that fact.”
He also said he is thrilled by the responses of some of the players who were not picked for the World Cup.
Out of the present 30, Keshi will still have to pick 23 that will eventually make the final squad for the Mundial in Brazil.
The Eagles handler, while declaring his unalloyed loyalty to the NFF, called on the media to support him and the NFF in the task of making Nigeria great through football at the 2014 World Cup.
“They create imaginary disputes between me and my employers, but I dare say there is no disagreement between us. All I want is for all including the players who did not make the initial 30-man list to support us, so that we can excel at the World Cup,” he declared.