- It makes you look like a fool.
- It ruins your testimony. How many of you have witnessed a person you respected completely lose their cool and throw a temper rage and tantrum and it caused you to lose respect for them? Nothing can blow your testimony as a Christian quicker than a hot temper!
- It causes you to lose your joy. Angry people are not very happy people. They usually go around steaming…just waiting for the least little thing to ‘set them off’! Do you recall back in Genesis 4:6 when Cain was angry with Abel and God said, “Why are you wroth?” and “Why hath your countenance fallen?” Anger will take away your joy. If you are a hot-tempered person full of anger, you will not be a very happy person.
- Stubborn anger is detrimental to our health. -If you are a walking time bomb that just can’t overlook little things….It will get you one of these days…..This type of anger has a serious effect on the human body….
- Anger not dealt with turns to resentment….a repressed type of anger that will just eat at you like cancer….It hurts you a lot more than the person you’re angry at! -I know people who have been angry and still are angry over something that happened YEARS ago!
- Anger carries a terribly high cost.
There will be consequences with an uncontrollable anger and temper. We mentioned some consequences earlier….it can destroy homes, friendships, marriages, relationships, careers, and as in Cain’s case, it can lead to MURDER! How many people in a fit of rage committed a terrible act of violence for which they are in prison now for? The following true story illustrates this. A preacher related that one evening a handsome elderly gentleman approached and asked the preacher to perform a wedding ceremony for him and his companion. He said said, “Now preacher, both me and my wife to be have been married before….to each other.” He went on to explain that he and his wife got into an argument and he got mad and he couldn’t let it go. He did a stupid thing by getting a divorce over the matter! For 30 years due to stubborn anger we lived alone and apart. Bitterness robbed us of the joy of life for 30 years! We’re asking God to give us a few more years of happiness together before we die.
Anger will cost you my friend.
Let’s now turn to the New Testament to see how to deal with our anger….
Ephesians 4:26-32 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: 27 Neither give place to the devil.
28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. 29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
Notice the first thing we learn about anger is that when you do get angry…and we all will…..don’t let it linger. Deal with it and move on….We have got to learn to not let things continue to eat at us…. For example if a husband and wife have an argument…it is best to resolve it and forget it…
Because if you let it linger on…and you don’t settle it…and you ‘let the Sun go down on your wrath’ so to speak and you don’t resolve it….you are ‘giving place to the devil’…
In other words you are giving the devil a chance to move in and possibly begin to set the seed of bitterness in your heart…which could lead to all kinds of trouble….usually just over something minor…..most of the time! you husbands and wives can probably relate to what I’m saying…
Do you recall times you and your spouse got into an argument…and isn’t it usually when we’re tired or stressed out from the day’s activities….and we get into it about something…. Do you recall how that unless you settled that thing and moved on….it just ‘festered’ and you got to thinking about it and it suddenly had blown way out of proportion?
Notice the steps the devil uses if we let anger linger in our hearts and how we ‘give place to the devil’ through our anger and temper….