President Obama ordered military leaders Friday to review their response to allegations of sexual assault in the military and to report back within a year.
"As commander in chief, I've made it clear that these crimes have no place in the greatest military on earth," Obama said in a statement.
The military report is due by Dec. 1, 2014.
If he is not satisfied with the response, Obama said "we will consider additional reforms that may be required to eliminate this crime from our military ranks and protect our brave servicemembers who stand guard for us every day at home and around the world."
Congress has been debating legislation that would remove authority for prosecuting sexual assault from military commanders.
In his statement, Obama hailed the efforts of Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., and Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., for efforts aimed at "eradicating this scourge from our armed forces." The president said he and the military would continue to cooperative on ways "to address this corrosive problem."
Obama, who earlier this year ordered the Pentagon to take steps to address sexual assault in the ranks, praised its "broad range of initiatives," including prevention programs and changes to the military justice system.
"Yet, so long as our women and men in uniform face the insider threat of sexual assault, we have an urgent obligation to do more to support victims and hold perpetrators accountable for their crimes as appropriate under the military justice system," Obama said.