Sen. Alphonsus Ubanesse Igbeke has dissociated himself from the leakage of a Supreme Court judgment in his appeal challenging the declaration of Mrs Margery Okadigbo as the senator representing Anambra North Senatorial district.
Reacting to a statement from the Supreme Court which linked him to the leaked judgment, Igbeke said that he read the leaked judgment on the internet just like every other Nigerian.
In a statement signed by his Special Assistant. Mr Uchem Obi, Igbeke said he read with palpable shock the widely reported story linking his name with leakage of the Supreme Court judgment in the appeal he brought against Lady Margery Okadigbo.
He said that he did not conspire by himself nor with any person or persons to leak the judgment even as he described the act as irresponsible from which he stood not to benefit anything.
He said that he read the said judgment on the internet as many other Nigerians who first read it and alerted him and therefore rejected any insinuation linking him to its leakage.
He also said he was ready to make himself available for investigation.
Igbeke said the allegation was the handiwork of his political opponents to devise other means of stopping him from contesting Anambra governorship election.
Last week the Federal Judicial Service Commission (FJSC) dismissed five Supreme Court workers and a staff of the Court of Appeal of Abuja Division for their involvement in the leakage of the undelivered judgement in the case of SC 179/2012 Senator Alphonsus Uba Igbeke Vs Lady Margery Okadigbo and 3 others.
A statement signed by the Chief Registrar of the Supreme Court, Mr Sunday Olorundahunsi gave the names of the affected workers as: Russell Ndenu, Nathaniel Abraham, Olayinka Abiodun, Bada Kayode, Festus Ilurimi and Stephen Izonebi
The commission also recommended to the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister for Justice, Mohammed Adoke, SAN to consider whether the alleged mastermind of the leakage, Senator Alphonsos Igbeke has breached the law for which he should be prosecuted.
Olorundahunsi said that the six judiciary workers were found through investigation conducted internally as well as police investigation to have conspired amongst themselves and allegedly with two outsiders, i.e. Senator Alphonsus Igbeke and Mr Collins Okechukwu to leak the judgement before it was delivered on May 31, 2013.
Igbeke had put up a paid advert on page 42 of the Daily Sun of May 30, 2013 alleging that the said judgement had leaked which forced his counsel in the matter, Chief Wole Olanipekun, SAN to write to the Chief Registrar of the Supreme Court to dissociate himself from the publication. He also withdrew his service to Igbeke on the matter.
Olorundahunsi said: “The FJSC considered their act as serious misconduct that runs contrary to Regulation 48 (1)(xi) of the Federal Judicial Service Commission Regulations, Regulation 49 and Regulation 60 (1)(i).
“Their acts are also in violation of the Public Service Rule (PSR) Cap 3 section 4 (030401) and (030416).”
Meanwhile, the commission has requested the justice minister to further investigate the motive behind the leakage and possibly take legal action against Igbeke and Mr Collins Okechukwu for allegedly masterminding the leaked undelivered judgement of the Supreme Court.