Nigeria News

Duke: Nigeria Growing South Africa’s Tourism Industry

 The Minister of Tourism, Culture and National Orientation, Chief Edem Duke, has disclosed that Nigerians contributes 40 per cent out of the 70 per cent of South African tourism revenue each year, 30 per cent from African nations, while the remaining 30 per cent comes in from other countries of the world.

He said this yesterday, at the Ministerial Platform of the Mid-term Achievements of President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration in Abuja. Duke, while briefing journalists, said: “Nigeria is growing South Africa’s tourism industry. Some months ago, I was invited by the Minister of Tourism of South Africa to open the South Africa tourist mall, then I asked him why and he told me that South Africa tourism grows by 10 per cent every year while the global tourism grows at the rate of four per cent.

“ 70 per cent of these revenues come from Africa and the remaining 30 per cent comes in from other part of the world. Nigerians contribute 40 per cent of it which is why your President on a state visit to South Africa few weeks back was well received by our President, Jacobs
Zuma with smiles saying that, Nigerians love coming to my country to spend money on tourism.”

According to him, “We are unveiling Fascinating Nigeria, a programme that will bring Nigeria into lame light and equally showcase the over 500 tourist destinations in our dear country to the world.”

The minister further said, “The core mandate of the sector is the formulation of policy, preservation, presentation and promotion of Nigerian culture both locally and internationally and as part of the activities to showcase what we have been doing over the last one year and six months, we have line up programmes and projects for the development of cultural industries as 12 centres were officially inaugurated in the six geo-political zones of the country at the centre located in Gidan Ajia, Ozoro a suburb of FCT.

Speaking further, he said: “The national creativity week, which is to identify and harness the hidden talents of youths from tertiary, secondary and primary as well as youths outside the school system and the annual Abuja National Carnival involving the 36 states plus FCT was successful held from November 24 to 27, 2012 in Abuja. Eight foreign countries participated and over 11 foreign countries are expected to grace this year’s edition with the theme ‘A People for a Century, A people Forever.’ This is an indication of its growing acceptance as an international brand,” he said.

Adding that the ministry had successfully conducted the embellishment of 10 Nigerian missions within the period under review as part of its effort to facilitate bilateral agreements with other countries, he stated that it had equally successfully organised an interactive technical meeting of culture experts on strategic implementation of cultural agreements between Nigeria and friendly countries in November, 2012.

The minister listed the countries to include: South Korea, Russia, Algeria, Poland, France, Cuba, Turkey, Mali, Venezuela and Spain.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.