The trial of the four alleged masterminds of the August 20, 2011 suicide bombing of the United Nations’ building in Abuja could not commence before a Federal High Court in Abuja Tuesday following the inability of the federal government’s prosecution team to bring to court evidences and witnesses.
The four accused persons, Salisu Mohammed, Inusa Mukailu, Danzumi Haruna and Abdulsalami Adamu, were all based in Kano as at the time of their arrest and are standing trial on a four-count charge of acts that border on terrorism.
A total of 23 persons lost their lives as a result of the incident.
It was learnt that the prosecution wanted to tender the exploded Honda CRV Jeep, its registration number plate Kano AV 38 NSR and photograph of the suspects as exhibits, which were said to be under police custody.
The matter which came up for hearing before Justice Gladys Olotu of the Federal High Court, Abuja after series of attempts to prosecute the four suspects had failed, was subsequently adjourned to October 9 and 10, 2013 for hearing.
The prosecution counsel, who pleaded that her name should not be mentioned, had asked the court for adjournment on the grounds that she could not provide all the needed materials to prosecute the case.
She said: “My Lord, I am afraid, I am a little bit handicapped because we were unable to put our house in order. The letter we wrote to the police requesting the materials and other exhibits could not get to them on time.
In view of this little constraint, I ask for a short adjournment to enable us put our house in order."
Though, she was able to bring one witness, Mr. Ibrahim Agu, the prosecution further told the court that the other witness expected to come and testify is a Divisional Police Officer in Jos.
“We are bringing two witnesses in this case, one is here but the other one is in Jos and we have sent signal to him,” the prosecution added.
Speaking shortly after the matter was adjourned; counsel to the accused persons, Ken Obiduruzo, said he was confident the four suspects would get justice but however lamented their long incarceration.
They had been in custody since August 2011.