FOLLOWING death of a father and his adopted son who were electrocuted in Abeokuta, Monday, he Ogun State Government, yesterday, warned residents to desist from scavenging on construction sites in areas where road expansion projects are ongoing across the state.
The government stated this in a statement by the State Commissioner for Information, Yusuph Olaniyonu.
It would be recalled that a policeman, Sunday Joseph and his 17-year-old adopted son, Moses got electrocuted after the boy reportedly scavenged some iron rods and suddenly touched a high tension cable with the iron rod leading to his death.
Reacting to the incident, the government said “the warning became necessary to avert the danger posed by naked electric wires and half demolished structures which may have become weak as a result of the rains.
“The government noted that to prevent unfortunate incidents of electrocution and injury resulting from collapse of structures which had been partly demolished, it is important to warn our people to stop scavenging from or rummaging through debris at construction sites.
“There is also the need to warn our people to always be careful while driving or walking around the various construction sites because of the usual danger that may be encountered in such places”.
“Government however expressed gratitude to the people for their support and co-operation since the commencement of the current urban renewal programme in the State and urged them to continue to
demonstrate understanding and support for government’s plans to rebuild the State’s infrastructure.
“OgunState government is currently expanding roads in Abeokuta, Sagamu, Ijebu-Ode, Ago-iwoye and Ota” the statement said.