DISASTER struck, weekend, in Iyara, a sprawling area of Warri in Warri South Local Government Area of Delta State, as a midday fire rendered many persons homeless after destroying over 10 houses and property worth millions of naira.
The fire, aided by combustible materials in the affected homes, consumed every property in sight.
Men of the Fire Services in Warri could not get to the affected houses to put off the fire because of inaccessibility.
When Vanguard visited the scene, youths and sympathizers with buckets of water mixed with soap, were making frantic efforts to quench the fire, but to no avail.
David Etete, a youth leader in the area said, “I was in the next street when I heard shout that there was fire in my area, I rushed there and we made efforts to contain the fire but there was little we could do.”
Asked the cause of the inferno, Etete said, “I don’t really know but I think it is from electric spark, I was told that there was electric power when it started.”
An unconfirmed source said the fire started because of explosion from a television set in the houses.
However, no life was lost in the fire outbreak.