A mysterious fire, which engulfed a house in Ubachima, Awo Omamma, Oru East Local Gouncil Area of Imo State, has consumed a pregnant woman and her two-year-old daughter.
It was not clear how the fire started but two conflicting accounts were peddled by villagers as the cause of the inferno when Vanguard visited the scene of the ugly incident.
The first account had it that the pregnant woman, Mrs. Nkechi Amajuoyi, her husband, Benedict, and their daughter, were cooling off outside the house until it became very chilly for the woman and her little daughter.
Those behind the account equally reasoned that because there was no public power supply in the community on the fateful night, the woman lit the family’s lantern and headed for their living room.
They opined that the late woman was unaware that petrol was dripping from her husband’s parked motorcycle inside the house, adding that it caught fire immediately she entered the room.
Another school of thought believed that the woman had successfully gone to bed and slept but along the line, fire from the lantern spread to other materials in the room.
Speaking to journalists, bereaved Benedict Amajuoyi said he was a native of Awa, Oguta Local Government Area of the state and a staff of Consolidated Breweries, Awo Omamma.
He affirmed amidst, tears that he returned from work at about 8pm, had his supper and decided to take a rest on a bench outside the house but was woken up by shouts of his name that probably came from his dying wife.
Amajuoyi said he ran to the room where his wife and daughter were sleeping and only found out that there was nothing he could do as the inferno had covered everywhere.