NAN reports that four men and a six-month old baby were burnt to death in a separate incident that occurred in Lagos State.
The fire incident on Friday and Saturday – April 17 and 18 respectively.
The Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, told NAN on Sunday, April 19, that four of the victims were roasted to death in an accident that occurred at the Coastain area of the state, involving a commercial bus.
The bus, which was carrying nine passengers at the time of the accident, was coming from Lagos Island at a top speed and as he descended to Coastain the driver suddenly lost control and hit a pavement.
Fadipe added that the impact made the bus to summersault severally.
"The bus burst into flames, burning to death four men beyond recognition. Five others that sustained serious burnt were rescued and taken to the General Hospital, Marina, by the Lagos Emergency Ambulance Services.
"The police from Iponri Division removed the dead bodies to the same hospital. The incident happened on Saturday at about 12.12 p.m.,’’ he said.
The director also said a six-month old baby boy was burnt to death at about 9.30 p.m. on Saturday at CA Street, House 52, Shagari Estate, Mosan Okunola, Ipaja.
Fadipe said the fire was caused by a candlestick lit by the mother of the child, who claimed to be taking fresh air outside, when the incident happened.
He, however, advised members of the public against the use of the candle, stressing that many lives have been lost to it use.
Fadipe also called on parents to always keep an eye on their children while sleeping, advising them against locking up children at home and leaving for a far distance.