A major fire outbreak claimed a family of seven at Anyamkor near Young Secondary School in Gboko area of Benue State on Thursday.
An eyewitness told reporters that the fire which ravaged a four-flat building of two bedrooms each, started at Mr Lawani Oye's flat around 11.40pm and burnt the husband, wife and five children.
It was gathered that as soon as the fire started from Mr Oye's flat, his wife popularly known as Mama Tunde was said to have raised the alarm which prompted other neighbours to rush out of their flats.
According to the neighbour who did not want her name in print, “we were woken with the shout from the neighbour's flat; Mama Tunde who shouted fire, fire, fire; it was her shout that woke us and we rushed out of our flats without evacuating anything.'
The eyewitness who lamented the tragic incident said that the same woman who raised the alarm and her family could not be saved as they were burnt beyond recognition. The cause of the incident could however not be ascertained as the only clue they had was that the generator was on in the night and by the time they went round after the fire, they saw a lantern near the generating set.
The charred remains of the deceased were left at the premises of the general hospital in Gboko at the time of filing this report because the workers were said to be on strike. When contacted the acting Police Public Relation Officer PPRO, ASP Matthew Oku said that the command was yet to be briefed.