The Federal Government has been urged to facilitate and finance the funding of mortgages for Civil Servants in the country.
The appeal was made by the Managing Director, Opinoir Engineering Company Limited, Mr. Muftau Salawu, at the recent pre-commission media briefing on the 300 housing units at Open Freedom Estate, Kuje Abuja.
According to him, the challenge of provision of houses in Nigeria, particularly in Abuja was largely due to the developer delivering on their promises. “We are appealing to the various organs of the government facilitating housing finance to speedily grant our numerous subscribers whose housing loans are pending with them. Such institutions are Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN), Federal Loans Board etc.”
Salawu said: “The estate had 240 subscribers who paid at least 10 per cent premium, and government should facilitate the completion of the remaining 90 per cent from its Federal Housing Contributors.” He however said the concept for the real estate was not only for civil servants, noting that it was civil servants that could have access to NHF.
“We have demonstrated our contribution to housing transformation agenda of the present administration. The estate had considered a lot of environmental issues, and had constructed drainage to control erosion and the company encourages tree planting as part of requirement to mitigate climate change and beautify the environment”, he added.
Responding, Group Marketing Marketing, Opinoir Engineering Company, Pastor Akin Meseko, commended the Federal Ministry of Land, Housing and Urban Development for its support, saying the development was the concept of the ministry and has developed in line with the ministry’s policy on housing.
He stated that the policy was beneficial to the people and the 10 per cent payment would qualify subscribers to own their houses with Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) duly signed by the Federal Government.
Also speaking, Chairman, Residents of Open Freedom Estate, Mr. Akah Benjamin, commended the developer for making accessible and affordable houses for them.