Lagos—The on going trial of Sulaiman Sanusi, son of late business mogul. Chief Abdul-Rasak Sanusi, before an Igbosere Magistrate’s Court over alleged unlawful possession of firearms, has been adjourned to November 25, due to the absence of the defendant.
At the resumed hearing of the matter, the defendant’s counsel, A. O. Onimole, informed the court that he could not reach the defendant when he got a call from the court on Tuesday that the matter, which was supposed to be heard on October 29, had been adjourned to October 21.
However, Magistrate Omolola Omotosho, after listening to the defendant’s lawyer, adjourned the matter to November 25, for trial.
It will be recalled that at the last adjourned date, the magistrate refused an application seeking to bar journalists from covering the case.
Sanusi’s counsel, Rotimi Seriki, had urged the court to stop journalists from covering the matter, alleging that reports by the newsmen had not been accurate reflection of the court’s proceedings.
According to the lawyer, journalists covering the case have been embarrassing his client by their presence and reports in the media.
Seriki had also said “ Right now as am talking journalists are inside the court and even cameramen are outside waiting to record. The last time when the court didn’t sit cameramen came into the court room to record,”he said.
He further stated that as a result of the unsolicited coverage of the case his client has been receiving threats.
After listening to him the magistrate had said that the court is a public place and that she can not stop journalists from covering court proceedings.
She, however said that Seriki can formerly file an application detailing his complaints for her consideration the defendant who is 48 year old is facing a count charge bordering on unlawful possession of firearms leveled against him by the police.
According to the prosecutor, Inspector Steven Molo, the defendant committed the alleged offence on October 16, 2014, at 2, Akanni Doherty Street off Oba Akran road, Ikeja.