BERLIN (Codewit) – Germany’s foreign minister ruled out his country’s participation in a military strike in Syria after an apparent deadly poison gas attack.
Guido Westerwelle told Saturday’s Neue Osnabruecker Zeitung that such a move had “neither been asked nor is it being considered by us”, according to pre-released comments by the paper.
“We are pushing for the United Nations Security Council to find a common position and for the work of UN inspectors to be finished as quickly as possible,” he added.
Berlin had previously said it would support “consequences” against the Syrian regime if its suspected deadly use of chemical weapons was confirmed, but it did not specify what the consequences would be.
On Thursday, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Russian President Vladimir Putin agreed on the need for the UN Security Council to study a report by UN experts on the alleged chemical attack outside Damascus, the Kremlin said.