Reports have it that several mortuary attendants took to their heels when Mutora woke up inside one of the mortuary chambers where he was due to be embalmed and started calling for help.
Mutora, from Limuru, had been rushed to the hospital after drinking insecticide following an argument with his father.
Hospital superintendent, Dr. Joseph Mburu said that the anti-poison drugs given to Mutora upon arriving in the hospital may have been responsible for giving the false impression of death.
“The effect of atropanes can sometimes cause slowing of heart rate and dilution of the pupils. These two observations are used to make the conclusion that someone has lost his life.”
Mutora is now recovering from his ordeal in a ward after being transported back by staff.
Mutora was quoted as saying that there was a mistake from the start.
“I apologise to my father as I prepare to go and take care of my wife and child.”
Although doctors say that Mutora is now out of danger, family members blame the hospital for being careless.
An investigation as to how a patient was pronounced dead when he was still alive has since been launched by the hospital.