(Codewit.com) As we come to a possible climax of events that have resulted in Nigeria having one of the craziest weeks in its history, iROKtv in its desire to bring to you things as they happen presents to you #Occupy Nigeria: The story so far..
It all started on January 1, 2011 when the announcement of #Fuel Subsidy Removal by the federal government sent everyone into a crazy frenzy, people rushed to Petrol stations to see if they could get PMS at the former price of #65, but the petrol stations had already implemented the new price regime.
Nigerians suffered under the burden of the new price hike for two weeks, before their cries led organized labour to embark on a nationwide strike to protest government actions. Different organizations and personalities began to emerge as leaders championing the cause of the people; bodies like Nigerian Medical Association and Nigerian Bar Association immediately joining the strike in major Nigerian cities across the country. For the first time, Nigerians seemed to be united in fighting back with everything left in them.
One big question on the minds of everyone was: Where are our celebrities? Where are our stars? Where are the Musicians, the Artistes, Where is Nollywood? Where is P Man? This brings a question to our minds:
What is the role of Entertainment in Revolution?
The Nigerian Entertainment Industry has grown and flourished in recent times, we seem to be witnessing a period where we have better movies, better music videos and better production, producers and directors are beginning to understand that there is nothing that sells your product as much as good content, this has led to a tremendous increase in fan following of our various Nigerian stars both within and outside the country. Many of them like Tuface Idibia and Genevieve Nnaji have even grown to becoming â€œPop Iconsâ€. It was not surprising when Nigerians began to scream and look for the opinions of their icons with regards to the #Fuel Subsidy Removal issue that was on ground.
Nollywood actors and actresses, and their counterparts in the music industry did not waste time, but immediately joined Nigerians, with many of them using social networks such as Facebook and Twitter to make their views on the matter known to their teeming fans. First to make his views known was Chocolate city Rapper/ Producer Jesse Jags who without mincing words tweeted on his twitter page:â€ Where are my fellow artiste friends today? This is the ONLY important thing now. No more songs or videos, letâ€™s fight for Nigeria.â€ Actor Desmond Elliot on his tweeter page said: â€œWhy does our president need 6 private jets? Why should our public officials keep their salaries when Obama slashed his? Why should we believe the government when it says the subsidy gain will be properly invested? Bad leadership and corruption must stopâ€. A lot of other stars went beyond just talking, to actually appearing on the streets and speaking at the various rallies, we had notable faces such as; Banky W, El Dee, Kate Henshaw, Omoni Oboli, Bimbo Akintola, Desmond Elliot, Ufoma Ejenobor and Ronke Oshodi-Oke appearing at some of the venues of the #Occupy Nigeria rallies.
Many of them were chief speakers at some of the rallies, not only speaking but also entertaining Nigerians with Subsidy themed songs, people like Clarion Chukwura, Foluke Daramola, Baba Suwe, femi Kuti, Seun Kuti, Tony Tetuila and others were at this rally venues. New songs like â€œEbezinaâ€ by Flavour, and â€œSubsidyâ€ by Tha Suspect have already become anthems in the mouths of many Nigerians in the struggle against the fuel subsidy removal.
The Street Credibility of our entertainers seems to be increasing, with increase shown by some popularity polls run. Believe it or not â€œEntertainment has a big role to play in Revolutionâ€
iROKTV was at the venue of all these rallies to bring you live footage and interviews with these celebrities and Nigerians giving their views on the matterâ€¦Check out our videos hereâ€¦Exclusive to iROKTV
Ifeanyi Abraham for iROKTV.
<!-- You can place html anywhere within the source tags -->
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zPsr6Zm02YI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
// You can place PHP like this
About the Author
More articles from this author
- Nollywood actor, Solomon Akiyesi tells own story
- Africa: The emotive power of inspirational songs
- Anambra poll: Ngige will win the Gubernatorial election
- Nigeria: Student Gets Shock Of Her Life When Black Ants Crawled Out Of Sugar Daddy's Sperms
- Fuel Subsidy Removal: Madueke, Okonjo Iweala canvass for subsidy removal at recent townhall
- Christmas Day bombings: Jonathan meets Sultan
- What Americans Keep Ignoring About Finland's School Success
- Nigeria calls state of emergency over sect attacks
- Wife murders husband over second marriage
- 70,000 Nigerian babies born with HIV yearly
- Libya militia says holds Gaddafi supporters over plot
- Codewit Advertising Programs
- Nigeria: The Fuel Subsidy debate
- PHOTONEWS: Femi Falana and Seun Kuti Join Occupy Nigeria
- Nigeria: Fuel subsidy removal: Airtimeâ€™s new competition is fuel says Afena Capital
- Fuel Subsidy Removal: Time for The Omolankes, Bicycles, Camels, Et cetera
- Nigeria: Ethnic & Religion Cleansing In Nigeria
- Boko Haram Kill Five Persons In Their Homes
- XMAS DAY BOMB SUSPECT REARRESTED AT THE BORDER
- VIDEO: OccupyNigeria Protesters In New York shut down Town Hall Meeting With Nigerian Foreign Minister of State
- Boko Haram: Six Major Explosions Rocks Kano, Police Officers Killed
- Popular Nollywood Actress Tonto Dike dabbles into Music
- Murder by British politicians pursuant to their engagement in a criminal enterprise of invention theft.
- Finnish bank accounts breached
- Nigeria: Boko Haram on Northern govsâ€™payroll â€“
- British Man on trial for Illegally Shipping 80,000 Guns to Nigeria
- Roads and rail in Nigeria could be at the centre of job creation
- Boko Haram leader, wife killed in 5-hour gunfight â€¢Slain leader, 2002 BUK graduate â€¢Security agents arrest son
- Celebrate With iROKOtv -Codewit World News
- Supreme Court Sacks 5 Governors: Kogi, 1 State, 2 Governors
- Nigeria: FACES OF BOKO HARAM SPONSORS
- I was not arrested â€“ Boko Haram spokesman
- Fake doctor nabbed after working for over one year in govt hospital
- Judge threatens to dismiss terrorism case against Ndume
- Gay candidate faces tough battle in Finland vote
- Shocking Confessions Of A Former Boko Haram Member
- Nigerian Islamists wear police kit for attacks: official
- Sanusi Lamido Sanusi Donates 100 Million of CBN's Money to Kano Victims of Boko Haram
- FBI could take down Internet for millions on March 8
- Underwear Bomber Abdulmutallab: "Proud to Kill in the Name of God"
- Hundreds march for tolerance in Oulu after killing of foreigners
- Becoming Nigerian -Africa States of Independence
- The imperial way: US decline in perspective
- What is really happening in Iran?
- Njideka Ojukwu- My life with Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu
- Bianca Ojukwu: Tribute To My Husband
- Freed of Gadhafi, Libya's instability only deepens
- War Monger vile McCain calls for U.S.-led airstrikes in Syria
- Finally, Nigeria Bares Its Fangs Abroad
- The World Bank: Hats off to Ngozi Iweala
- THE PROMISE THAT WAS AND STILL VERY MUCH BIAFRA
- Snake fright for Australian pilot
- India, China, Nigeria, Indonesia, U.S. to lead city growth: U.N.
- Nadia Buari and Bimbo Manuel dazzle in Heroes and Zeros
- Marvel Comics brings Avengers to Ozone Cinema in Nigeria
- Charles Taylor, African Warlord, Convicted for Role in Sierra Leone Atrocities
- USA: Crooked TSA Screeners Arrested in Drug Trafficking Scheme
- HOW TO INCREASE THE FIRE OF LOVE IN YOUR MARRIAGE
- Deprivation & Derivation Principles: Why The North Is Poor (I) â€“ Elombah
- Sarkozy joins fallen leaders amid Europe crisis
- Hollande defeats Sarkozy to win French election
- A "Smart Defense" for NATO is an "Invincible Defense"
- Nigeria: GTBank Employees Arrested For Attempted Robbery At Gbagada
- Serpent-Handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite
- Eye-Burn Warning for Contact Lens Solution
- Nollywood Movies Award 2012 Sparkle on Red Carpet courtesy IROKtv
- Nollywood: NEW VIDEO â€œGAGA CRAZYâ€
- Nigeria bomb blast kills 10-year-old boy
- Unique & Innovativeâ€ Guinean Man Caught trying to Enter Spain Disguised as a Car Seat!
- United Nations Honours Former President Olusegun Obasanjo with Global Leadership Award
- Private Jets Owned By Wealthy Nigerians And Their Costs
- Nigeria needs an Igbo President to march forward â€“ Ezeife
- Miss Ghana finalists undergo military boot-camp in jungle
- Miss Ghana finalists undergo military boot-camp in jungle (2)
- Jonathan okays national confab *Concludes consultations, SNC to take off next year
- Patience Jonathan Battles Cancer-PM News, Nigeria
- Aluu Killing Suspect Parade in Port Harcourt (PHOTO)
- Soyinka breaks silence, says BIAFRA (Igbos) SUFFERED GENOCIDE during civil war
- Why police could not save the UNIPORT students â€“ IGP
- Gunmen attack Ivory Coast power station, security facilities
- US documents support Achebe: Gowon blocked food supplies to Biafra
- High-profile Boko Haram member arrested at senatorâ€™s home
- The Principles of the Biafran Revolution -A speech delivered by General Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu on June 1, 1969
- Lagos State Shuts Down Seven Churches Over Noise Pollution
- Calif. Catholic bishop resigns, says he has 2 kids
- Nigeria to Maintain Positive Macro-Economic Indices in 2013
- No Nation can rise above the level of its women
- Pete Edochie Is Not Dead
- Photo: All about Mercy Johnson in Photo
- Nigeria: Gen. Onyeabor Ihejirika Tout Gains in Terror War-
- Anambra State: Ifeanyi Ubah declares gubernatorial ambition
- Nnewi: Exclusive Photo of Cletus Ibeto's Wedding at his residence
- A Pope Is Chosen and his name is Pope Francis the 1st